In the realm of sports science, mental fatigue is a relatively underexplored area with significant implications for athletic performance.
The "Drained" Feeling
Athletes often experience mental fatigue as a feeling of being physically fatigued and mentally "drained." Elite team sports demand substantial cognitive efforts, and mental fatigue can impair exercise performance.
Impact on Physical Performance
Mental fatigue not only reduces physical capabilities but also affects decision-making, technique, and tactics, making it vital to manage.
The Mechanisms at Play
The exact causes of mental fatigue remain unclear, with increased perception of effort and changes in brain chemicals possibly playing a role.
Monitoring Mental Fatigue
Coaches should monitor athletes' mental state using tools like the visual analogue scale (VAS) alongside physical fatigue assessment.
Nutrition strategies like caffeine and creatine show promise in reducing mental fatigue. Sleep monitoring, reduced screen time, and relaxation techniques can also aid recovery.
Despite limited understanding, addressing mental fatigue alongside physical fatigue is crucial for enhancing athletic performance through effective measurement, management, and recovery strategies.
If you have any further questions about the topic, then just drop us online by clicking here
- Desmond P and Hancock P. Active and passive fatigue states. In: Stress, workload, and fatigue edited by Hancock P. Mahwah, NJ, US: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates Publishers, 2001, p. 455-465.
- Greco G, Tambolini R, Ambruosi P, and Fischetti F. Negative effects of smartphone use on physical and technical performance of young footballers. Journal of Physical Education and Sport 17: 2495-2501, 2017.
- Job R and Dalziel J. Defining fatigue as a condition of the organism and distinguishing it from habituation, adaptation, and boredom. In: Stress, workload, and fatigue edited by Hancock PA. Mahwah, NJ, US: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates Publishers, 2001.
- Martin K, Meeusen R, Thompson KG, Keegan R, and Rattray B. Mental fatigue impairs endurance performance: A physiological explanation. Sports medicine (Auckland, NZ): 1-11, 2018.
- Martin K, Staiano W, Menaspa P, Hennessey T, Marcora S, Keegan R, Thompson KG, Martin D, Halson S, and Rattray B. Superior Inhibitory Control and Resistance to Mental Fatigue in Professional Road Cyclists. PloS one 11: e0159907, 2016.
- Meeusen R and Roelands B. Fatigue: Is it all neurochemistry? European Journal of Sport Science: 1-10, 2017.
- Russell S, Jenkins D, Smith M, Halson S, and Kelly V. The application of mental fatigue research to elite team sport performance: New perspectives. J Sci Med Sport 22: 723-728, 2019.
- Van Cutsem J, Roelands B, Pluym B, Tassigno B, Verschueren J, De Pauw K, and Meeusen R. Can Creatine Combat the Mental Fatigue-associated Decrease in Visuomotor Skills? Medicine and science in sports and exercise, 2019.